There is much talk about fuel poverty in Northern Ireland, one of the ways that many people try to provide some heat for their homes is by using a free-standing heater. It may be a gas, an electric, or even an electrically powered oil heater.
Whichever it is, it is vital that anyone using these heaters uses them sensibly and responsibly. Earlier this week, a 24-year-old woman and her eight-week-old baby were
treated for smoke inhalation following a fire at a house in the Lisburn Road area of Belfast.
From BBC news
This incident highlights the dangers that can arise from free-standing gas heaters and further underlines the need for people to be vigilant when using these as a means to heat their homes in the cold winter months.
I hope that everyone will look out for their neighbours as well as themselves as we move into the coldest part of the year. The Coalition Government talks of ‘building the big society’ but it is at the local level that ‘society’ can and should make a difference.