I died today. You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. They were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge.
Would I still be at home if I hadn’t chewed your shoe?
I didn’t know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys.
Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken?
Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door.
Would I still be at home if I hadn’t brought fleas into the house?
Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn’t get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days.
Would I still be at home if I hadn’t barked?
I was only saying,
“I’m scared, I’m lonely, I’m here, I’m here! I want to be your best friend.”
Would I still be at home if I had made you happy?
Hitting me didn’t make me learn how.
Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me?
You didn’t pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me. I died today.
Animal abuse is not fair. This posting came up on my Facebook newsfeed from my friend Maciej. It made me feel really quite sad when I read it out to Andrew.
I support the Dogs Trust here in the UK. I don’t have a dog. I’m not really likely to ever own a dog myself, but I have known the love of dogs in the homes of relatives and friends. I would hate to hear of any dog or any other animal abused in this way.
- ” I Died Today” (livingforpets.com)
- Hundreds of dogs seized at ‘heartbreaking’ Quebec puppy mill (nanawithtwodogs.wordpress.com)
- Animal Abuse (thepaolite.wordpress.com)
- Animal Abuser Registry in Albany County, Public Hearing this Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 at 7PM (risablairlovitz.com)
- Animal abuse is a world wide phenomenon (simouny.wordpress.com)
- Meet Awesome Puppy of the Day, Harper (dogs.icanhascheezburger.com)
- Preparing your home for a puppy (lillianjchan.com)